Saturday, December 13, 2008
Is Race Real?
Before our sociology classes this past week, I never questioned the idea of race. To me race is so built in to American society that I incorrectly presumed the idea of race was shared by all societies. It is confounding to me that in South Africa, people apply for races. But it does make more sense. What really makes a person black or white if they are both, like Barack Obama?How come we call Obama the first black president when he is equally black and white? Our society defidently looks at race first when judging a person. Whether it is locking our doors in a poor mostly black neighborhood in Chicago or refusing to be friends with a black person, implicit and explicit race is everywhere. I wish that everyone acted like Livia. Seeing an Asian man and saying he resembled Obama. Most people do not think that way. Just the other day, at work, we were playing Wii and the two players on the screen were black and white. To keep track of the game, the other kids would say "Oh, the black guy's winning". I never would have thought of that as racism before, but after this class, I have opened my eyes. Racism really is everywhere, which is an extremely sad fact. The doll experiment was another moment when I was just blown away by the racism present in little kids against themselves. It really sucks that racism is so ingrained in our world that even little kids who are black view themselves as bad and mean.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment