Sunday, December 7, 2008

Blue Collar Stereotypes

I do not think that the white collar people are making fun of the blue-collar people. Yes, they visit dive bars and claim to be romanticizing the blue-collar lifestyle; however, I don't think they meant to be rude about it. Rather, it just expresses their discontent with their own lives. Bruce Springsteen still sings about blue collar life, when he is obviously not blue collar anymore. Sometimes being blue collar can be an image, other times it can be a hard-earned title. I completely agree that class stereotypes are more openly prevalent in mainstream society. I think the problem is that people buy into their stereotypes. Women call themselves trailer trash, but it may hurt them when other people call them trailer trash. Guess what, don't reinforce your own stereotype! That just encourages people to think that calling someone trailer trash is okay. It is not okay. I also think sexism is quite common in every day life. It was especially widespread during the fight for the Democratic Presidential nomination. Even Katie Couric, a renowned reporter, spoke up after Hillary Clinton conceded. Couric claimed that Clinton was wronged and objectified during her campaign run. To me, class and gender stereotypes are the most ocmmon and prevalent in society.

No comments: