Sunday, September 28, 2008

Culture Norms

I had the most difficulty adjusting to the restaurant norms in England, France, and Italy. In America, waiters and waitresses come whenever to take your order. They are even border-line annoying in their insistency. However, in European countries waiters wait and wait and wait to take your order. They will not approach your table unless the menu is closed and placed on the table. Once my family and I waited to place our orders for forty minutes before realizing that our menus were wide open. As soon as we closed them, the waiter came running. This norm took at least four days in Italy to comprehend, and I soon realized that I liked it better. In America, waiters pester you to no end until you finally order. I've once been asked four times in fifteen minutes to place my order --- No, I'm not ready yet!

2 comments:

Obama's Thug said...

Haha, funny story.... Isn't weird how long it takes to adjust to different cultures? I have many of the same stories, but the thing that's similar to yours is our (American) impression of this. At least I view this as a weird almost awkward thing, yet it's just different. Additionally it's kinda the American thing to go to a country and be completely blown away by their customs/culture, so in that case you were right on!

Sal said...

Great example. I think this is like one of the things the German was talking about in that article - asking if you are ready to order is a subtle way of saying, "come on let's go, I have to turn over this table, hurray up..."