Sunday, October 5, 2008

U of I Politcal Rules

My brother Alex goes to the University of Illinois. After hearing about the new rules in place for teachers, TA's, and graduate students I called him up. I was shocked that they could not wear or share their political beliefs. Of course, as per usual, my brother barely knewwhat I was talking about. However, my cousin Daniel did. Daniel is super involved in Obama's camp. He goes canvassing and has even joined several student run organizations concerning the election. Daniel said that he and a bunch of other people have been petitioning for the rule to be dismissed, but nothing has happened yet. Apparently, it is really important at the U of I that teachers do not affect their student's views. I can understand this, but I don't believe it is fair. However, unlike here at Stevenson, everyone in college can vote. It is not as big of a deal here because only a handful of students can and will actually vote on November 4th. I wonder if Stevenson were a college, if the rule would be different.

No comments: