Saturday, October 25, 2008

Beauty is Not only Skin Deep

The sad thing about watching the Dove ads is that I was not surprised, not even shocked. I know that models in magazines are always adjusted, but I had no idea how much work went into altering their appearances. I wish that the media released the message that beauty is what counts on the ouside. However, I understand that people will always care about appearances, but why so excessively? The way that our world is causes people to die. People die every day from anorexia, bulimia, exercise bulimia - there are so many different types now that I can't even keep track. A new one is called wannarexia, where people are afflicted by the extreme desire to be anorexics. What is wrong with our world where people pray for the chemical imbalance to become anorexic. I can't only blame the media, and neither can anyone. I watch my fair share of TV, most of which portrays super skinny and good looking people, but I do not allow myself to become disillusioned by actors. One just needs a healthy dose of real life. The largest agent of socialization is family because family can really dictate how you view yourself.

No comments: