Sunday, November 2, 2008
The Masks Men Wear
I have always known that guys in general are more violent than girls, but seeing the statistics was mind baffling. The movie we watched made it seem like guys are these horribly violent monsters in order to prove they're not gay. I never thought that guys were so mean to one another. The Kimmel article states that homophobia is the fear of being called gay, which seemed to ring true in the case of the school shooters. The one girl that Kimmel mentioned involved in a shooting was the one who chickened out. I think it would have beeen more interesting to delve into the girl's reasons for wanting to participate in the first place. Generally, society sees men as strong and girls as weak, which is why mainstream media has always shown men as violent people. In One Tree Hill, a guy was a school shooter and in many other shows guys are always the one's getting in fights. Why not girls? In real life, girls tend to use words and hold grudges, guys fight and move on. The other day at school, I witnessed a fight between two girls. About 100 hundred people were are watching shocked that girls would actually hit one another. I think most girls view actually attacking another girl as trashy, whereas guys hit eachother to gain respect.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment