Saturday, November 8, 2008

When are you supposed to be Independent?

Independence. It is the word that every senior hears. You'll be independent when you go to college. But are you really independent? Few seniors at Stevenson will pay for college and most will return home for breaks. So when do you truly become an adult? My cousin is twenty-one years old, she is a senior in college, and recently I asked her if she felt like an adult. She laughed, replying "No, not at all. I am home for about five months out of the year give or take. I think I'll finally feel like an independent adult when I can call another place besides my parent's home or college home." She went on to say that when she is married, she'll feel independent from her parents. I think she is correct. Until we can completely move out of our parent's homes, we are still dependent upon them for many adult things like taxes and bills. Once we move away from our parent's homes, we have new responsibilities. These new responsibilities like financially taking care of ourselves and others makes us independent. However, what truly makes you an adult is being able to balance your new responsible role with your old one as a son or daughter because your parents will always want to take care of you.

4 comments:

Kayla said...

I complrtly agree.
I think once your married and you are financially married and have a house is when you are oficially an adult.

anita said...

hiiiii syd.
i agree, people think that they're so mature and independent when they go off to college. But just because they follow the typical path of continuing school, just away from the house, does not make them truly independent. Some kids don't realize how pampered they are. You don't know what you got until its gone.

Kasange said...

I loved this post - I completely agree with it. Legally we are adults at 18, but I'll be 18 in just a few months and I know I won't feel anymore adult-like than I do right now. Even in college we're still dependent on our parents. Like you said, they're funding our education and they're who we return to during breaks. Even after college we are still dependent on them because our parents are still our main family. I believe that we truly become independent is when we start families of our own. Only then are we truly independent of our parents and only then do they go on the "backburner". We are always dependent on our families, whether they are our parents or families of our own.

awesome beef said...

honestly, i have never thought of this topic this way. I'll admit, for the past couple of months i've been so excited to get to college because i'll be "independent". this made me think about it and realize that i'm kind of an idiot lol. this is a fantastic point to make...thanks for making me a little less naive!