Saturday, October 11, 2008
Tuesday's with Morrie
As many of you know, I was not at school so I did not see Tuesday's with Morrie. Coincidentally, I spent the week surrounded by death and sadness. My papa (grandpa) died almost a week ago. It was a huge shock and my family is very sad. What helped me a lot is knowing that he didn't feel any pain and had no idea that he would die. How did Morrie live so long knowing he would die from ALS? It is very morbid to know when you will die, so I am very thankful that my papa didn't know. As a culture, America has an interesting relationship with death. Death is a pivotal plot point in numerous television shows like LOST, Bones, and the CSI's, and in movies like Vantage Point, Disturbia, and SAW.... Yet, while used as an entertainment point, Americans fear death. No one in their right mind wants to die, and no one really knows what happens when you die. As a culture, we fear the unknown and that is what death is. No one can tell you what dying or the afterlife is like - that is where religion and faith comes in. I do believe, however, that dying is the beginning of a new adventure for the soul. After seeing my papa's body at the hospital, I firmly believe that body and soul are completely separate entities because the differences between a living person and a dead person are drastic. I don't know what my family's life will be like without my Papa, and we love him will miss him every single day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Thanks for blogging and sharing your personal experiences with us, Syd. I hav been thinking about you all week and hoping that you are okay. I think the movie is very healing - have you seen it? I think that one of the messages is that because Morrie loved others and allowed himself to be loved, when he dies physically, he is still alive in the people he influenced. I hope you will feel that with your papa. He is still loving you - you can still feel loved by him and he is still affecting you and some of his lessons will only fully be understood years from now. So though he is physically gone, he is a part of you. Love transcends.
im just going to put it out there.
ur comment made me cry sal.
syd. i love you. and i agree with everything sal said too. ur papa is a part of you..
Post a Comment