Thursday, December 25, 2008
CRASH into Race
Simplifying race to a black-white issue definitely creates confusion over race issues in America. Clearly, from Crash and that other movie we saw, there can be inter and intra racism. There was certainly racism seen when Ludacris' character would talk cruelly about other black people. He claimed that he had no respect for black people who robbed from other black people. Luda constantly criticized his friend who later died for liking country music or bringing along his patron saint of travelers. Most people assume that racism is only between races. They are very wrong. Crash proves that race is a much larger problem than that because it is everywhere and in everyone. When Sandra Bullock sensed that Luda and his friend were bad people, she worried that people would see her as racist. Honestly, I cannot see how others would think that. If Luda and his friend had been white, dressed that way, with that demeanor, I would have been worried. In that case, I really do not believe that it was race, but looks and general atmosphere. If Luda and friend had been nicely dressed, then, I think it would have been a completely different story. Sometimes clothes and appearances in general really help typlify a person. Anyway, I loved Crash and it was sad to finish the movie. I really like the directing style. It is so cool how everyone is connected. I believe that this movie portrays the six degrees of separation very well. Okay, so this is my last blog. How sad :( It was a fun class! Thanks Sal!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
No no no!
a) there is one more blog this week.
b) you can keep blogging if you'd like - forever! :-)
p.s. nice post.
p.p.s. you have a real sociological imagination. thanks for being such a great part of class.
Post a Comment